- More than 90% of top 100 paid mobile apps have been hacked: 92% of top paid iOS apps and 100% of top paid Android apps were found to have been hacked.
- Free apps are not immune from hackers: 40% of popular free iOS apps and 80 percent of the same Android apps were found to have been hacked.
- Hacking is pervasive across all categories of mobile apps: Hacked versions of mobile apps were found across all key industries such as games, business, productivity, financial services, social networking, entertainment, communication, and healthcare.
- Mobile apps are subject to many diverse types of hacks and tampering attacks, such as disabled or circumvented security, unlocked or modified features, free pirated copies, ad-removed versions, source code/IP theft, and illegal malware-infested versions.
- The Anatomy of an App Hack entails three steps: Define the exploit and attack targets; reverse-engineer the code; and tamper with the code; this process is made easy with widely available free or low-cost hacking tools.
- Financial risks from hacking are increasing rapidly: Mobile app hacking is becoming a major economic issue with consumer and enterprise mobile app revenues growing to more than $6o billion by 2016 and mobile payments volume exceeding $1 trillion (based on data from KPMG, ABI Research, and TechNavio).
- Make mobile app protection a strategic priority, reflecting its new criticality to address hacking attacks and the growing value at stake.
- Be especially diligent about protecting mobile apps that deal with transactions, payments, sensitive data, or that have high-value IP (e.g., financial services, commerce, digital media, gaming, healthcare, government, corporate apps).
- Do not assume that web app security strategies are adequate to address the new requirements for mobile app protection.
- Focus app security initiatives on protecting the integrity of mobile apps against tampering/reverse-engineering attacks, in addition to traditional approaches to avoiding vulnerabilities.
- Build protections directly into the app — harden the code against reverse-engineering, and make the app tamper-proof and self-defending — to counter how hackers attack an app.
Arxan Technologies Inc. is the industry leader of application protection solutions that protect the App Economy. Arxan secures mobile, desktop, server and embedded applications against tampering and reverse-engineering attacks and is an integral part of end-to-end application security. Our security defends against tampering, unauthorized use, insertion of exploits, piracy, and theft of intellectual property for global leaders in markets such as Fortune 500 enterprises, financial services, ISV, gaming and digital media to proactively defend the integrity of their code and business models. Arxan’s proven, scalable and durable application protection solutions defend, detect, alert and react to application attacks through a threat-based, customizable approach. Arxan Technologies is headquartered in the United States with global offices in EMEA and APAC. ###
Arxan Technologies, Inc. Jodi Wadhwa 301-968-4295 email@example.com
Lutz PR Erin Lutz +1-949-293-1055 firstname.lastname@example.org